Tofu & Vegetables stir fry with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
Stir fry is a well known asian cooking method. Growing up in bangkok, I am very familiar with this cooking technique and it become my quick and easy way to make my meal when time is limited. However, you can get very creative with different flavors you can put into your stir fry, even ingredients. Today I want to share with you one of my favorite teriyaki stir fry. You can do with or without tofu, it taste equally good because of sauce flavor. Teriyaki is japanese style sauce ( I know I have to make something thai and spicy but japanese ingredients are easier to find in western grocer, I promise I will share some thai cooking recipes once I go to asian market)
The sauce you make will not only be used in stir fry, you can marinate tofu, tempeh or veggies for BBQ and grilling. I hope you give this recipe a try 🙂 My husband love it and I hope you do too!
Ingredients ( make for about 4 -5 servings)
1 block firm tofu, drained, pat dry and cut into bite size chunks
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 cup chopped carrot
3 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite size
3 cups sugar snap peas, fibrous seam removed
2 tbsp vegetable cooking oil
3 tbsp water
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (recipe below)
steam jasmin rice ( to serve)
- Heat oil in medium high heat, pan fry tofu chunks until firm and golden brown. Set aside
- In the same pan, heat oil and add onion and garlic. Stir for a few minutes until onion is soft
- Add carrot, broccoli and sugar snap pea along with water to cook all veggies. Stir for a few minutes till veggies are cooked.
- Add pan fried tofu and teriyaki sauce, stir until sauce cover all the ingredients. Taste and adjust ( add water or teriyaki sauce) You may want to have some juicy sauce in your stir fry, adding water will create a sauce to enjoy over rice.
- Remove from heat and enjoy it over steam rice.
Teriyaki Sauce ( Make about 1 cup)
1/2 cup soy sauce/tamari
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp fresh ginger,minced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup of filter water
2 tsp of tapioca starch ( or potato starch, arrowroot or corn starch) + 6 tsp of water, mixed well together
1 tsp toasted sesame seed
- In a saucepan, mix first 8 ingredients together and heat the mixture over a medium high heat until brown sugar dissolve, about 3-4 mins.
- Slowly add starch water into the mixture (1 tsp at a time) and constantly stir ( to prevent sauce from lumping) until the sauce is thicken
- Once reach the thickness you desired, remove from heat an add toasted sesame seed.
- Let it cool and store in an air-thight container in the refrigerator. The sauce can be used in stir fry, marinate or dipping.