I usually cook with whatever ingredients I have left from the day before cooking. I made indian curry the day before and have tomato sauce leftover. So my question was how to make use of this tomato sauce. There are many way you can use tomato sauce with and Pizza is one of the first choice that come in mind. But I don’t like to do same thing and want to try something different. With similar ingredients, Instead of making pizza, I made Calzone! Yes..You can put more stuffing and cheese in with less mess when you eat it so why not 🙂 I have shared my hawaiian pizza recipe before. This calzone recipe use the same recipe for dough, just a little twist on the form and steps. Hope you all like it.
Yield: 4 serving
Prep Time : 1 hr 10 mins
Cook Time : 20 mins
2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 oz of pizza crust yeast / dry active yeast (1 envelope)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2/3 up warmed water
1/4 cup olive oil
Rosted Vegetables ( onion, bell pepper, zucchini, mushroom, spinach, sweet potato etc)
Daiya mozzarella cheese
For Dipping Sauce
cashew parmesan cheese
chopped fresh basil
dry chili flake
* Mix all ingredients together for dipping sauce
- Combine the yeast, salt, sugar and water in a bowl of the stand mixer ( or blender for dough making) and run it for about 10 seconds
- While mixer is running, add 1 cup of flour at a time, alternating with olive oil until the doll is smooth and forms into a ball
- Divide the dough into 4 balls of the same size and transfer to oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for about an hour
- While dough is rising, prepare your veggie. Cut vegetable into bite size, season with olive oil, salt and pepper then roast them in 350 degree oven for about 30 minute.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degree
- Roll each dough out into thin circles on a lightly floured surface. Fill each circle with roasted vegetable and cheese ( as much or little as you want) then fold over. securing edges by folding in and pressing with finger. Run a sharp knife to make a few holes on each calzone to let steam come out.
- Bake for about 20-25 mins until it turn golden brown. Serve hot with tomato dipping sauce.