Chickpea and Sweet Potato Indian Style Curry
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp garam masala
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 green chiles, finely chopped
3 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can coconut milk
1 can chickpea/garbanzo bean (1 1/2 cup cooked bean)
2 cups roasted sweet potato (1 big or 2 medium sweet potatoes)
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp agave
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Steamed rice, for serving
- Peel and dice sweet potato to small pieces. Roast in the 350 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes, set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan and toast the mustard seeds,cumin and garam masala until fragrant.
- Add the onions, chiles, ginger and garlic and saute until the onions are soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste to the pan and cook for 2 minutes more. Pour the diced tomatoes into the pan and cook until reduced by about half, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Raise the heat to high, and add the coconut milk. Cook the coconut milk until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Add the roasted sweet potato and garbanzo bean to the pan, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and agave. Add the chopped cilantro and turn off the heat. Serve hot over steamed rice.( basmati, jasmine or brown rice)