It is getting closer to Forth of July and I am sure you everyone is planning on making something delicious for the occasion. It is always in the summer when we celebrate this so BBQ is the fun way to enjoy summer and celebrate freedom. There are a lot of plant-based yummy options we can make and enjoy for BBQ cookout such as veggie hotdog, veggie burger, grilled veggies, corn on the cob, chips and salsa just to name a few. Or try this sweet potato, pinto bean, spinach quesadilla that goes very well with salsa and guacamole. It is easy to eat bite size appetizer that is perfect for patio BBQ party. Just have to cook in and take them out for guests to enjoy.
I made this when I have friends or family come over for an informal dinner or a drink. It is easy to entertain this way without spend too much time making it in the kitchen and miss the conversation with your friend at the table. You can prepare the filling in advance. It only take a few minutes to put them all together. I received a good feedback serving this with my mango salsa. All the fresh vegetable ingredients with combination of different flavor and texture come together very well in this dish. I hope you like it! and give this a try!
1 can or about 1 1/2 cup cooked pinto bean
1 large sweet potato, skinned and cut into cubes
2 tsp of chopped garlic
1/4 cup of chopped onion
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro
Daiya Vegan Cheese (or hummus)
4 tortillas ( I used Gluten-free Rudi’s Tortillas)
- In a large nonstick pan, saute garlic, onion and spinach in olive oil over medium to medium-high heat until just tender. Season with some salt and pepper then remove vegetables from pan. Set aside
- In another saucepan, add cube sweet potato with filtered water and bring to the boil until tender (check it by using fork) about 15-20 mins. Remove from the heat and drain out all the water out. Mash sweet potato with fork. It is ok to be left a little chunk in in there
- Put the saucepan with mashed sweet potato back on to the stove (sweet potato is still little wet at this stage) using the lowest heat. Add Pinto Bean and use fork to mash it again. Season with salt, cumin, chili power. Stir continuously until the mixture are drier ( be careful not to burn it) about 5 mins. Add chopped fresh cilantro and stir a few times before remove from the stove and set aside.
- Coat the clean pan with cooking spray, and place one tortilla in pan. Sprinkle Daiya cheese evenly over tortilla. Then add layer sweet potato mixture over the cheese and spinach on top of sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle another layer of cheese and top and covered with a second tortilla. Cook until golden on both sides, for approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side*. Remove quesadilla from pan, and repeat with remaining ingredients.
*Tip one flipping quesadilla ; Take a flat plate and cover the quesadilla. Lift the pan up and turn it upside down with another hand holding the flat plate. Then slowly put uncooked side quesadilla down from the plate to the pan again.
- Cut each quesadilla into 8 triangles with a pizza cutter. Serve hot and enjoy it with Homemade Mango Salsa and Guacamole.