On Vegan Pizza Day, I bought two pineapples, it was on sale, to make hawaiian pizza. After making pizza, freeze some for smoothie and ate it raw as fruit, I still have some pineapple left. I don’t like to waste anything and always find my way to use every bit of leftover possible (before it goes bad). I also have some leftover brown rice from our dinner the night before. Leftover rice is perfect for fried rice because it become drier and will not turn mushy when stir fried with other ingredients. So I have ingredients just perfect for Thai Pineapple Fried Rice! Did I mention I am Thai ? 🙂
Pineapple fried rice is one of the well-known one dish meal in Thai cuisine. The combination of sweet and sour from pineapple, the aroma of curry powder and the crunchiness of toasted cashew will satisfy your palate. To make it very authentic, make a soy chili sauce to go with fried rice. You will be dining exotic food at the comfort of your own home.
Prep Time: 10-15 mins
Cooking Time: 8-10 mins
Yield : 2 servings
2 1/2- 3 cup cooked rice ( white or brown) I used brown in the photo
3/4 cup diced pineapple
3/4 cup dice carrot*
1/2 cup dice onion
1/4 cup chopped green onion*
1/4 cup raisin/dried cranberries (optional)
1/2 cup toasted cashew
1 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil ( I used coconut oil)
3 1/2 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce/tamari
2 1/2 tsp of sugar
2 tsp of curry powder
*The idea is to have at least 4 colors of vegetables in your stir fried ( yellow, orange, green, white, brown, red) you can add colored vegetable such as mushroom, green and red bell pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium to medium-high.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and onion, stir until onion turn translucent ( about 1 mins or so)
- Add carrot and other ” take time to cook” vegetables such as mushroom and bell pepper, stir for few minute till half cook
- Add rice and pineapple and season it with soy sauce, sugar and curry power, continually stirring and tossing for about 2 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired.
- Add green onion, raisin(if using) and cashew. ( You don’t want to cook green onion too much and you want to keep cashew crunchy) Give it a few good stirs, turn the heat off and serve hot!