Chickpea “tuna” sushi roll
This recipe is one of my favorite. It is so quick and easy to make. It taste so good you won’t believe there is no tuna in it, only protein goodness from chickpea. You can make a big batch and use them in many dishes. It is very versatile and perfect grab and go kind of meal. You can use them in sandwich, dipping, put on cracker, salad or in sushi roll.
Ingredients for “tuna”
1 1/2 cup cooked or 1 can of garbanzo bean (chickpea), drain and rinse with water
1 rib of celery, finely chopped
1/8 of sweet onion, finely chopped
5 tbsp of homemade mayo
2 tsp of dijon mustard
2 tbsp of sweet relish
- Drain chickpea and mash it throughly with fork
- Combine chopped onion and celery
- Add homemade mayo, mustard and relish.
- Season it with a little bit of salt and lemon juice, mix well
- Taste it, add more lemon and salt, if needed.
- Sprinkle with dill
Ingredients for sushi
Chickpea “tuna” ( recipe above)
2 2/3 cups cooked japanese rice, I used Calrose Rice BOTAN
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
3 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt
seaweed nori sheet
vegetables, cut lengthwise (such as carrot,cucumber, avocado, pepper, shred cabbage etc)
bamboo rolling mat
- Rinse to clean the rice until the water runs clear. Cook rice in rice cooker according to instruction. If you don’t have rice cooker you can combine 2 1/2 cups of water and cook in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Rice should be tender and water should be absorbed. Cool until cool enough to handle.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt then stir into the cooked rice. Keep stirring and the rice will dry as it cools.
Now it is time to assemble the roll, watch this tutorial video on how to roll sushi and start making your sushi roll with chickpea “tuna” and your choices of vegetables. Remember not to layer rice too thick and do not over stuffing your ingredients, it will be difficult to roll.
If you do not have a bamboo rolling mat (it is not expensive ) and do not want to get one, you can also make chickpea”tuna” sushi bowl instead! the taste will be equally delicious as it contains the same ingredients, just present in different form. To do that ,put in a bowl seasoned sushi rice, top with chickpea, diced (instead of lengthwise cut) vegetable and seaweed nori that is cut into small stripe on top. Drizzle with some soy source and enjoy ! I made sushi bowl the other day because I ran out of nori sheet and have only seaweed snack. So I thought why not make a bowl! It taste just like sushi. I just ate it with spoon instead of chop stick 🙂
Other idea of meals that I have made with chickpea” tuna” are grilled daiya cheese with cucumber, hummus chickpea sandwich and chickpea”tuna” on cracker. Here are some pictures of dishes I made. Hope you get some inspiration and make your own favorite dish with this recipe.
A Dash of Love